Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Review of Unattainable, by Madeline Sheehan




Synopsis:
"Warning: This is not a virtuous and tender love story. It’s chaotic, ruthless, and tragic. This story takes love and kills its innocence, steals away the pure moments, and crushes the hearts of the broken. A story born in childhood, tying one girl to one boy, leads to a destructive path—that hurts more than it doesn’t, that shatters more than it heals—testing the love that binds the two through a lifetime. 

Tegen Matthews is the daughter of Dorothy Kelley, a club whore in the Hell’s Horsemen. A plain little girl, Tegen falls into the gritty world of the motorcycle club. When she meets a sweet, caring boy, she embraces the warmth and affection he shows her. Cage West is the son of the president of the Hell’s Horsemen. Tall and blond with deep brown eyes, as he grows up Cage realizes the power of his dimpled smile and smooth drawl. With one chance encounter, Tegen becomes forever tied to Cage. Following is a wayward journey that is filled with regrets, mistakes, and heartache, pulling at the threads that hold them together. Cage and Tegen fight hard but love harder, and in the end, what matters is where the journey takes one girl and one boy, who have been twined with one another since the beginning. 

This is Tegen and Cage’s story. 

Love doesn’t erase a broken heart, and it sure doesn’t change people. But no matter how old, how flimsy, how frayed the rope of love is, it keeps you tethered to the people you love."


Review:
Wow.  Madeline, you gut me.  Every....single....time.  I am left with a book hangover from hell and have no one to blame but you and the amazing awesomeness that you bring to me in written form.  I finished this book this morning, and am left with a knot in my stomach that no amount of drinking is going to make go away.  This book is Cage and Tegen's story.  Cage is Deuce's son, Tegen is Dorothy's daughter. There is so much going on in this book let me start at the beginning.  The Prologue shows us Cage and Tegen meeting when Cage was 11 and Tegen was 8.  Tegen invited him to a tea party, and in return he nicknamed her Teacup.  Cage is blonde and beautiful, Tegen is red-headed and awkward, but they become best friends.  Cage and Tegen share a lot of history.  Tegen falls in love with Cage over the years, but Cage is oblivious and having sex with any whore that will spread her legs.  One night, in a drunken stupor, Cage has sex with Tegen.  Tegen is 16, Cage is 19.  The morning after, Tegen mistakenly tells Cage that she loves him, Cage panics and tells her it isn't like that for him and then walks away from her.  From that point on, Tegen has a chip on her shoulder and hates the world, but most specifically she hates Cage West.  As soon as she graduates high school, she flees far away from Miles City to California and avoids going home at all costs. When Tegen comes home when Dorothy is shot, she is not the same little girl Cage remembers.  She is now a sexy woman with tattoos, dreadlocks and piercings.....but she still either pretends Cage doesn't exist or spews hatefulness at him.  

Tegen, I want to punch you in the face.  Every time you throw a fit like a two year old, I find myself balling my fists at my sides.  Did you forget how to have a conversation like an adult? I don't know whether to hate you or love you.  I sympathize that Tegen is confused and broken-hearted.  I sympathize that she has a chip on her shoulder and does not want to become a club whore like her mother.

In the years that follow Tegen leaving Miles City, Cage handled club business and screwed anything he could...but eventually that wasn't enough for him and he wanted more.  He just didn't know what more was.  Tegen was living life in California.  ZZ also escaped Miles City after Danny broke his heart and when he is not on the road handling club business, he crashes with Tegen.  They develop a strictly sex relationship.  Tegen gets called back to Miles City to help her mother, but fate throws her right into Cage's path.  It isn't long before their fighting escalates into sex.  Cage wants more, but Tegen is too afraid to give it to him out of fear of being rejected again so she fights him.  

Cage, my heart breaks for you.  You are such a stupid man sometimes, but really - with the examples you have had in your life, I get it.  You are complicated, and I love the hell out of you for it.  You don't know what you want.  However, you found you are good at sex and are willing to let women use you.  Dammit Cage, you are better than that!!

Tegen, stop playing both sides of the fence.  Using ZZ after the heartbreak he suffered from Danny is not cool.  You should've filled ZZ in on the fact that it was strictly sex to you.  I knew the arguing and fighting between you two would finally lead somewhere!  It's about darn time!  Cage, yay....you finally see what you have been missing.  Tegen, you finally see that despite your better judgment you still love Cage, but it scares the crap out of you.  You are afraid of him rejecting you again.  I get that.  Cage, dude, you gotta earn her trust.  You can't just get her naked once and expect all your issues to fade away! You two are so stubborn that you are driving me crazy!  I just want to lock you both in a room and force you to talk and admit how you each feel. I won't do that of course, but strictly because I am afraid you two might kill each other.

There is a lot of drama, including a shooting that leaves Cage fighting for his life after they finally admit they love each other.  More drama ensues, more people die or almost die and people finally pull their heads out of their rear-ends.  ZZ on the other hand has fallen off the grid.  After this last round of his heart getting shattered, he started cage fighting, then disappeared.  

Oh ZZ, my heart breaks for you.  I want you to have your HEA.  I don't want you wandering alone, with no one to care about you.  I hope you find your way.  Gosh, what is with everything happening all at once? Cage's life falling apart because he is heartbroken, then Blue, then Deuce, then Cage again.  My emotions were all over the place.  I felt for Cage, I felt for Tegen, and I really, really, really felt for ZZ. ZZ my dear, I want you to find happiness - I just don't know if it is possible for you anymore.  The club has worn you down to a shell of a man.  I am worried about you ZZ.

A side story of UnA is Dirty and Ellie.  Dirty saves Ellie from being raped by the Chief of Police.  However, I am sure you can imagine he wants her dead.  Drama, drama, drama.  Dirty takes it upon himself to protect her.  Over the course of Dirty and Ellie getting to know each other, we see how screwed up Dirty is. We also discover that he is actually beautiful but due to his dark past, he is dirty in an attempt to hide who he really is.  Ellie sees how screwed up Dirty is and tries to help him.  She is there for him and vows to love him.  Dirty finally has someone to love him the way he has always needed.

Dirty I think I love you.  I want to hug you and snuggle you and protect you.  You are a good man, even though you don't see that about yourself you will.  You have Ellie now.  She'll help you.  You just have to trust her enough to let her try.  You can do it.  I have faith in you.  You have had such a screwed up life and I hope that Ellie is able to ease your pain and help you find your calm amongst the storm.  Be careful with your heart Dirty, don't give it to those unworthy.  You are worthy of so much more than you give yourself credit for.  You deserve some peace Dirty. Go on, go have your HEA.  

Well, I guess that about sums up my thoughts on Madeline's newest release.  She makes me feel her characters and I fall in love with them.  For that reason alone, she is deserving of my five stars.  I don't give five stars easily.  Usually reserved for books that bring out a significant bout of emotions....and since I am about as unemotional as they come - if it can do that to me, then it must be a darn good book!  



No comments:

Post a Comment